Kimgane Daegu Makchang, Ampang #김가네대구막창 암팡

June 11, 2019
Having lots of opportunities to taste all types of Korean food, from fast food to authentic traditional 한정식 (Han Jeong Sik), I believe I hope I have developed a certain level of knowledge of how real and good Korean food taste like. Of all the Korean restaurants that I have tried in Malaysia, only a few manage to make me revisit the good food. This one has been around for less than a year. It was originally a restaurant that sells decent 짜장면, 짬뽕, 군만두, 탕수육 (JJajang myeon, Jjamppoong, fried dumplings, Tangsooyuk...) and etc which you would normally find in a Korean-Chinese restaurant. It was closed down for an unknown reason.

Anyway, I came across this gem a few months ago. It is called 대구막창. And I have visited for another 5 more times after that. The house specialty is Korean BBQ. Now, who doesn't love a good Korean BBQ right? Here is the catch though, they do not only serve normal items for Korean BBQ like pork belly, marinated beef, chicken... they have pig and cow intestines, pigskin, and boneless chicken feet!! Some people might find it disgusting, but they happened to be one of my favourites!

I was surprised to find those items in their menu as not many Korean restaurants offer them. Maybe not that widely accepted yet in Malaysia. Nonetheless, I could not wait to give it a try. I have already tried the intestine on my first visit here, so I did not order again this time (it was kinda pricey). Personally, I liked 소막창 (cow intestine) more than 돼지막창 (Pig intestine), mainly because pig intestine has more fat content, therefore making it super oily and full of (too much) animal grease after all the grilling. But some of my friends prefer it over the cow intestine. So it really is depending on personal taste.

The shop is relatively new, therefore everything looks clean and the ventilation in the shop is good. This is a plus point for me because I hate dining in the BBQ smoke, where I couldn't enjoy or see my food but busy tearing up. They also have a big screen TV that broadcast Korean entertainment programs all day long. 

This time around, I ordered the pork belly and boneless chicken feet (thanks to my cravings for spicy food) to go on the grill. Note: The boneless chicken feet they serve are really spicy, so consume at your own risk. lol. Also, I love pairing my BBQ with grilled kimchi and grilled sliced garlic (in the pork fat on the grill). Both gave a different dimension of taste when grilled compare to eating it raw. 


된장찌개 (Soybean paste stew) is a must when I go for Korean BBQ. It is one of my comfort food! However, the 된장찌개 here is a little too salty for my liking.


Another must-order dish whenever I have Korean BBQ - 냉면 (Cold noodles)! I personally prefer 물냉면 which is a cold noodle that comes with an icy broth. The other type of cold noodles is called 비빔냉면 which is basically the same type of noodle, but instead of an icy broth, it is a dry version with a tangy red pepper sauce. After chowing down all the greasy meat and spicy chicken feet, take a bite of the chewy noodles (slurping cold noodles is the BEST way to eat it!) and a big gulp of the broth. You will know how good that feels, washing away all the sinful bites! 


In addition to what I have ordered + 반찬 (side dishes), they served a stone pot Korean style steamed egg as a service (aka freebies in Korean)! Although their side dishes game is a little weak imo (I expected more varieties), but I must admit, the steamed egg is the bomb. Thumbs up. On a side note: To my surprise, on my first visit here, they even served 돼지국밥 (Pork soup with rice) as a service. Which is already a full meal on its own!
The waiters and waitresses are friendly and helpful. They will help with grilling the meat for you. Also, the side dishes are refillable. Just eat your hearts out! :)
대구막창 is in the Korean Village in Ampang, which is the opposite of Ampang Point Shopping Centre. It is just a few shops down from Hanwoori Ampang. Make sure you give it a try! You can find the direction and menu below.




Address: LOT C8 GROUND FLOOR, One Ampang Avenue, Jalan Ampang Utama 1/1, Taman Ampang Utama, 68000 Ampang, Selangor

Operating Hours: 
Weekdays   5pm–1am
Weekends 12pm–1am

Phone: 03-4265 5580




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.